text logoSouth Bay Bird Society Logo Shield

P.O. Box 3863  ~  Redondo Beach, CA  90277-3863  ~  www.sobaybirdsoc.org

Home
About Us
Membership Information
What's New
Lost & Found
Vet-Med Dictionary
Bird Anatomy
Hazards
Avian Veterinarians
Bird First Aid & Disaster Preparedness
SBBS Sponsors
Member & Bird Pictures!


ARTICLES

Birdie Disaster Preparedness
by Donna Crossley

Tips for Recovering Missing Birds
by Jean Pattison (The African Queen)


For stories and informative articles, join SSBS and receive your monthly newsletter!

spacer

How to Kill Your Birds Without Trying

Many products available on the market have been known to cause illness and/or death to many pet birds. Manufacturers quite often deny any knowledge of these incidents. The products listed on this page are listed to give you "heads up" in the event the accusations are true. The information printed is given as we received it and is not intended to boycott or otherwise prevent the sale of these products. This information is to serve as warning to use care with products around your pet birds. You may also keep in mind that many items have been determined "safe around pets," but appear to be directed more to dogs and cats. Those same items may be perfectly safe around dogs and cats, but not around birds. For this purpose, when using or purchasing any questionable product, THINK BIRD.

Fabreze SBBS was recently informed of Fabreze, a Proctor and Gamble product used to eliminate odors on sofas, cloths, and other items. One person sprayed Fabreze within 12 feet of his birds. One bird died, and others are still quite ill. Another person reported losing three Budgies. Fabreze contains zinc chloride, a highly toxic ingredient fatal to birds.
Aerosol Cans Never use aerosol cans near birds
Candles Room fresheners, carpet fresheners, and candles have fragrances. These items are extremely toxic to birds. Chemicals that ordinarily only irritate humans can be toxic to birds. Renuzit has been added to this list of items toxic to birds.
Reynolds Cooking Bags Beware of the Reynolds aluminum and plastic
Smoke Cigarette smoke is an airborne irritant, like cooking smoke, vacuuming dust, carpet powders, and hair sprays. Chronic sinusitis and liver pathologies have been confirmed in homes where a smoker resides.
Teflon and Non-stick Cookware Overheated Teflon can cause almost instant death of your bird. Your bird should never be anywhere near Teflon or other non-stick cookware when it is being used.
Metals Tin found in aluminum foil, gum wrappers, and cans is toxic to birds. Some old copper toys and old pennies are toxic, as is zinc, which can be found in chipped galvanized metals and pennies.
Respiratory-sensitive Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and the same precautions should be taken for your birds as are taken for a person suffering from asthma.
Plants and Foliage The list is too long to publish here but always find out whether your plants and trees are toxic or non-toxic.

FOODS AND BEVERAGES TO AVOID FEEDING TO YOUR BIRDS

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Anything not fresh or may have mold on/in it.
  • Anything with too much sugar or salt
  • Apple seeds (remove seeds from apples before feeding)
  • Avocado
  • Cat food
  • Cherries or peaches with pits
  • Chocolate
  • Dairy products. Birds cannot digest them; very small amounts of cheese is ok.
  • Raw onion or raw potato
  • Raw or uncooked meat, poultry, fish
  • Raw or undercooked eggs
  • Excessive fats used in long periods of time become toxins
  • Caffeine found in coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, and cocoa can affect heart muscles, causing muscle tremors, vomiting, hyperactivity, and cyanosis. There is a possibility of death from cardiac or respiratory collapse.
  • Sugars found in sweet rolls, candy, glazed products, and by eating too many sweet fruits can be toxic. Death can be caused by a build-up of toxins already in the system.
  • Cookware. Be careful with new cookware. Most types are coated with a non-stick surface which is toxic when heated. It is best to remove your bird (s) from cooking areas when introducing or using utensils with non-stick surfaces -- especially when new. New utensils give off more toxins and at lower temperatures than those that have been used.

When in doubt, don't feed it.



spacer

EXOTIC NEWCASTLE DISEASE INFORMATION



Copyright© 2000-2014, South Bay Bird Society. All Rights Reserved.